When it comes to tights, opinions – and mistakes – are plentiful. Some women swear by bare legs at any cost, while others consider tights an accessory and cost-effective way to upgrade their wardrobe. So what’s really going on? Are we making a fashion faux pas when we add a pair of 10 denier tights to our shopping basket?
Fortunately, the answer is ‘no’.
Tights, like many other garments, have gone in and out of fashion over the years. In the 90s, patterned tights were all the rage after the job uniform of the 80s gave women a distaste of skin-coloured legwear. But even though the tights trend has gone in every direction over the years, this absolutely does not mean that wearing tights is ‘not done’. On the other hand, it’s easy to choose the wrong tights, which can ruin even the best outfit. Tights should be chosen carefully and not at the last minute before rushing out to a party. Follow these five tips to avoid getting arrested by the fashion police.
1. Considering skin-coloured tights to smooth out your legs for wedding season? Avoid tights with sheen. They will be very shiny and attract unwanted attention in pictures. Instead, choose matte tights in 10 denier. These ultra-thin tights are practically invisible but, like foundation, cover up flaws and give legs a natural and flattering look.
2. Want to spice up an outfit with a pair of statement tights? Keep the rest of your outfit neutral, including your shoes, and go for tights with a vertical pattern, which will make your legs look longer.
3. Never – and we repeat never – use tights with open shoes. There is not a soul who thinks that visible seams over toes are flattering and, besides, your legs will look shorter. If you want to wear open shoes, don’t wear tights.
4. Black-on-black is a timeless combination that will always be approved by those with good taste. If you plan to wear a little black dress, it’s more fashionable these days to wear a pair of thin dark tights than a lighter version in the same denier.
5. Black tights in 50 denier are a safe bet with any outfit, even summer dresses. These solid dark tights create a cool contrast to the season’s numerous floral patterns and can easily transform an informal summer dress into office attire.